CALL US: (717) 238-7318

What is a high school equivalency diploma (HSD)?

Pennsylvanians who don’t have a high school diploma and are not currently enrolled in a high school can earn a high school equivalency diploma from an adult learning center such as OIC. You must be at least 18 years old (or obtain a waiver from the state that permits you to  test).  If you earn a passing score on all sections of an HSD test, you will receive a diploma. OIC offers preparatory classes for a test called HiSET®, which like the GED® test, but a different brand.

You may take HiSET as a paper test or by computer. It has a different scoring and pricing system than the GED, and has n five tests, rather than GED’s four. In our experience, our students are more successful taking the HiSET.

You will need a current Pennsylvania driver’s license, permit or PennDOT photo identification card.


Tri-County OIC is a community-based, non-profit, Federal, State, local, foundation and supporter funded organization, which is part of a greater nationwide alliance of OIC’s. 


Stay up to date on Tri-county OIC programs, services and events.

© . Tri-county OIC. Website